Murder at Sebastopol

“Joseph Byrne deposed that on the night in question he was passing the Chinese camp at Sebastopol, and saw the prisoners and others searching a jumper and other clothing; this was after sundown. Ah Suey was tied up to a post, to a hook on it. His hands were tied with a cord in front. There was a chain like that produced round him, his whole feet were on the ground, took no notice of the people who were present. If he had trousers on they were very short. Ah Seong untied deceased, who then went away to another house. Deceased was crying out “pretty” loud, did not hear him say anything. Was there about five minutes, saw deceased between six and seven on Wednesday night. He was then tied up again with the rope and with the chain; the two prisoners were present, but did nothing. Ah Seong untied him. Asked prisoners why they tied him up, and someone, whom he did not know, said that Ah Suey meant to kill himself.”

The following two articles, (sourced from Trove and copied exactly as they were published), are in relation to the Inquest, and later Court Session, regarding the murder of Ah Suey, who was brutally ill-treated (over a four day period) by his two employers, Ye On and Hung Yuey, because he owed them money…


Inquest on Ah Suey

The inquest on the remains of Ah Suey was resumed by Dr Dempster, at Andrew’s Oriental Hotel, Newtown, Beechworth, yesterday, the jury consisting of William Andrews (foreman), John Duncan, Joseph Bishop, Michael Loftus, J. McConechie, Charles Lampitt, John McAlpine, John Smith, John Sheery, John Greeness, Alfred Chisnell, Thomas Kildea and Andrew Mack.
Mr Superintendent Barclay conducted the case, which was watched by Mr Bowman on behalf of storekeepers, and by Mr Zincke for the relatives of the deceased.
John R. Considine deposed to conveying the stomach removed by Dr Fox from Ah Suey at the post mortem and handing it the Government analytical chemist, Mr Johnson, in person.
Mr Barclay produced Mr Johnson’s report. It was as follows: To the officer of police in charge at Beechworth.
Sir, I have made an analysis of the stomach (said to be a Chinaman’s) delivered to me by Constable John Considine on the 30th April last. I find traces of opium, but no other poison of any kind that can be discovered by chemical means. (Sighed) W. Johnson, government analyst.
Guey Foon, deposed: I am a labourer residing at Sebastopol. I work for Hung Yuey and Ye On, storekeepers at Sebastopol, they told me to go to Bright in April 21st, where I would see Ah Suey, and to bring him to Sebastopol. I went to Bright where I saw him. I asked him to come with me, and we came by coach to Beechworth on the Tuesday, 22rd. I then got a buggy and went with Ah Suey to Sebastopol. Wah Shing also went in the buggy. When we arrived, Ah Suey and I went into the store kept by Hung Yuey and Ye On. Wah Shing returned with the buggy. I remained half an hour in the store with Ah Suey, Ye On and Hung Yuey. I said to Ye On, “I have brought him back, do you want him to work for you, or what?” Ye On said to Ah Suey, “When you left you owed me money, you did not let me know, if you had I would have let you go. Are you not ashamed of yourself?” Ah Suey did not reply. I left the store. When I left, Ah Suey was sitting in the store. I returned about four o’clock. Ah Suey said to me, “I am ashamed of myself; I am going to kill myself.” This was in my bedroom, which is part of the store. This was half an hour after I left the store previously. Ah Suey then went out and I followed; he took a knife in is hand and threatened to cut his throat. I took the knife away and called Hung Yuey and we went and tied Ah Suey with a rope to the veranda posts by his wrists, they then asked him, “Are you going to kill yourself? If so, I will call the police; if not, I will let you go.” He replied, “I will not kill myself.” Ah Seong then untied him, and he went away. When I saw him next day he did not seem ill. On Friday afternoon, about half-past three, I saw him with the policeman. That morning I heard Ah Suey was lying outside the store on the ground. Directly after I saw him in his own hut with opium in his mouth; was moving in his mouth. I never saw anyone beat him. Ye On sent for the police. Deceased was tied up for ten minutes.
Ah Sin, a miner, on oath disposed: I knew a Chinaman named Ah Suey. I saw him with a policeman at Sebastopol on April 26th. On the Tuesday before, I saw him come to the store in a buggy with Guey Foon and Wah Shing. The latter drove away; the others went into the store. I saw Hung Yuey, and Ye On pull Ah Suey out of the store by the tail. In about half an hour they asked him for money, and said if he did not pay they would hang him up by the tail. Immediately after this, I saw them (Ye on and Hung Yuey) strip off Ah Suey’s jumper and trousers. They tied his hands behind his back with a rope similar to the one produced. They then tied his feet with a dog chain, like the one produced. They searched his jumper and trousers, and took 10s 6d away. It was Ye On who kept it. He was tied to the veranda post by Ye On and Hung Yuey. I saw Ye On and Hung Yuey beat him about the body and head with their fists and their feat. He cried out, “I am going to die, save me!” He was tied up about an hour, with his toes touching the ground, his tail being fastened to a hook on the veranda. Ah Leuey then untied him, and he dropped down, he seemed very weak. I went and picked him up, and took him to his hut. He walked feebly. Shortly after this, I left him sitting at Ah Shoo’s. About six, the same evening, I saw Ye On and Hung Yuey at deceased’s hut. They again asked him for money, and if he did not pay, threatened to hang him up and beat him. I about an hour and a half, I saw them tie him up again to the same veranda post by the tail and with a rope and chain, and kick and strike him again. He was hung up about an hour, and when Ah Leuey untied him again, he seemed sick and weak. I took him to his hut. Next morning, 24th, at about seven a.m., I saw Ye On and Hung Yuey go to Ah Leuey’s hut. They again asked Ah Suey for money; he said “no money”. They pulled him out by the tail to the same post, and tied him up and beat him the same as on previous occasions. He was tied up about fifty minutes. Ah Suey cried out, and Ah Leuey untied him. I dared not help him when tied up, but I took him to his hut. On Friday, (26th) at about six a.m., I saw Ye On and Hung Yuey hit deceased, and knock him down with their fits, and when down, press him with their hands. They kicked him for about a minute in the head and body. They had European boots on at the time. Ah Suey cried out twice to save his life. He lay on the ground. Ye On and Hung Yuey left him there. Ah Suey laid there for about three hours. The beating referred to, took place in Ah Suey’s hut. About three o’clock in the afternoon, I saw the policeman take him away. When brought outside, he fell down. I never heard Ah Suey say anything about committing suicide. I did not untie Ah Suey, as I owed Ye On and Hung Yuey money, and if I had untied him, should have had to pay what I owed. No one but myself saw Ye On and Hung Yuey beat Ah Suey. I saw no one else beat him. After being beaten, Ah Suey complained of pain. I did not sleep in the hut with him.
Ah Leong, retired storekeeper, residing at the Woolshed, deposed: I know the deceased Ah Suey. I saw him with a policeman at Sebastopol, near Ye On and Hung Yuey’s store, at about five p.m. on Friday, 16th. On Tuesday, 23rd April, I saw Ah Suey tied up to a veranda post at Ye On and Hung Yuey’s store. He was lashed up with a rope, and nothing else. His hands were tied behind his back. His tail was not tied up, it was hanging lose. He had no clothes on. I saw no one strike or beat him. I untied him. After he had been tied up, he sat down on a stool. He did not seem very weak. I returned about seven p.m., and saw him again tied to the veranda post. His tail was fastened to a hook in the post. His feet were tied with a rope to the post. They were on the ground. Hung Yuey was in the store, and also Ye On. I saw no one strike him. I untied him. He could walk. I saw no bruises on him. I heard him cry when tied up, “Unloose me.” Next morning, Hung Yuey came to me, and I went out. Ah Suey was tied to the same post as before, and in a similar manner. I saw no one beat him. Hung Yuey and I released him. Hung Yuey came to my hut, he asked me to go and release Ah Suey. When untied, he seemed alright and was able to walk. I saw no marks of his having been beaten. He did not fall down. He came to my place and had some rice. I saw him on Thursday afternoon. He appeared well and was able to walk. When next I saw him was with the policeman on Friday 26th April. He did not complain to me of ever having been beaten, nor did he ever threaten to commit suicide in my hearing.
Ah Sam, deposed: I am a miner residing at Reid’s Creek. I went to Sebastopol last Tuesday week, April 23rd. I was at Ye On and Hung Yuey’s store at about five p.m. There was a crowd outside. I knew a Chinaman named Ah Suey. Never saw him beaten or tied up. He came into Fun Yung’s gambling shop.
Emma Harvey deposed: I am a married woman residing at Sebastopol. I remember April 22nd. I was in the Chinese Camp at Sebastopol at about 6 or 7 p.m. I saw a Chinaman in the shoemaker’s shop. His hands were tied behind him. He had clothes on. He was groaning and crying. Ye On, the storekeeper, was searching him his clothes. I asked him what he was doing. He said, “Looking for money.” I never saw anyone beat Ah Suey, nor did I ever see him tied up to a post. On Thursday night, at about 7 or 8 o’clock, he came into our house. He was crying and seemed downhearted. I gave him some bread. His clothes were torn. I gave him a shilling. Never heard him threated to commit suicide. Ah Suey was the man I saw with his hands tied behind him. At our house he said that he had been hung up by the tail, with a chain round his legs, by the storekeeper. I do not recollect what name he used.
John Harvey deposed: I am a miner residing at Sebastopol. I was acquainted with a Chinaman named Ah Suey, whose body I saw at this hotel on April 27th. I saw him ill-treated or beaten on Thursday evening, 26th, at six or seven p.m. He came to my house, and said he had been beaten till nearly dead and he had no friends. He said he had been tied up by the tail , with his legs and arms fastened. He showed me his clothes were torn, also some marks on his side. He said nothing about killing himself. I gave him some bread and sugar. He sat down crying, and ate very little. I gave him a shilling when he left. He seemed very weak and exhausted, and could hardly walk. I gave information to the police. Deceased seemed a very honest Chinaman and always paid me.
Joseph Byrne, labourer, Sebastopol, deposed: I know the Chinese Camp at Sebastopol, and was acquainted with a Chinaman named Ah Suey. I last saw him on Wednesday, April 24th, at a store kept by Ye On and Hung Yuey. He was tied to the veranda post of the store, his tail being fastened above his head to a hook, his arms fastened behind his back, his legs tied together with a chain similar to the one produced. He had his jumper on, but no trousers when I first saw him. A Chinaman came and released in about five minutes. I did not notice if he was ill, nor did I see anyone beat him. He walked away when untied. I saw him again the next day. He was walking towards Beechworth. He did not seem ill. I never saw him afterwards. When tied up, he was crying out loudly. The two storekeepers were present.
Henry T. Fox deposed: I have read the report (produced) from the Government analyst, Mr Johnson, with reference to the contents of the stomach of Ah Suey. It states that he found traces of opium in the stomach – no other poison. There was nothing in the post mortem appearance of the body inconsistent with poisoning by opium. I have been present this day during all the evidence, and heard the statement regarding the ill-usage of deceased. I am of opinion that the ill-usage, and also deceased’s habit of using opium habitually, would so obscure the symptoms of opium poising during life, as to account for the apparent inconsistency of Constable Considines’s evidence with the poisoning by opium of deceased. The effusion on the brain may have been caused by blows on the head, and probably was, the appearances being than would be caused by opium alone. In my opinion, death resulted from effusion of blood on the brain, probably the result of external violence, and also intensified by the effect of opium taken internally. The effusion of blood on the brain would be sufficient to account for death, without any opium taken internally.
The jury, after a short deliberation, returned the following verdict: – “That Ah Suey died at Malakoft Dairy, near Beechworth, upon April 26th 1872, from effusion of blood on the brain, caused by external violence, and intensified by opium taken internally.”


Beechworth Circuit Court, Wednesday, October, 16th 1872
(Before his honour, Sir Redmond Barry)

Ye On and Hung Yuey were indicted for the murder of Ah Suey.

The following jury was empanelled: – R. Harvey (foreman), A. Galbraith, J. Ross, T. Fraser, J. Wilson, Jas. Scott, W. Ellis, E. Kershaw, R. Milne, G. McLean, R. Williams, and Geo. Edwards.
The Crown Prosecutor having stated the case at some length, Mr C. Hodges, the chief Government interpreter, administrated the oath to Gooey Funn, who deposed: Knew the two prisoners; they were his employers, living at Sebastopol, in business; he knew Ah Suey; he lived next to the store, a short distance away. Ah Suey owed the prisoners money, and he witness) was asked to bring him back to work for prisoners; he was told to go to Morse’s Creek; both prisoners were present at that time; he was told that Ah Suey owed more than twenty one pounds. He went to Morse’s Creek on horseback, and his employers paid the expenses on his return; found Ah Suey on his entrance to Morse’s Creek. Ah Suey came back with witness in the couch, and went to Sebastopol. This was on Tuesday, 23rd April, of this year. Ah Suey was willing to come to come. Witness told deceased that he owed money to his employers. Brought Ah Suey to Sebastopol, he came because witness was his uncle. He engaged a man to go down to Sebastopol; because he was afraid of spoiling the buggy and having to pay for it. Wah Shang drove the buggy and witness saw him at the Camp, at Spring Creek Beechworth since, but did not know where he was now. The sum of 12s. 6d was paid for the buggy, but “The reckoning and not yet been made.” Directly, deceased got out of the buggy at Sebastopol, he went into prisoner’s store. Nothing was said in witnesses hearing, he said, “I asked Ah Suey to come back and he came back.” Both of the prisoners spoke on the occasion, they said “You’ve come back have you?” The prisoners said that they did not know deceased was going away, or they would have stopped him. Ah Suey was sitting down when witness went out to deliver the goods, it was about half-past three. The two prisoners were then with Ah Suey, one at the counter and the other sitting down. When witness returned, Ah Suey, his nephew, followed him into his bedroom and said, “I am covered with shame, disgrace, I think I will commit suicide.” He attempted to kill himself. Prisoners tied him up, and asked him why he wanted to commit suicide; both deceased’s hands were tied in front of him by a piece of rope. No other part of his body was tied. Witness went to the back to do some, and saw no more. Knew Ah Seong, but had not sworn that he had seen Ah Seong untie deceased. Ah Seong had gone to Sydney, but he did not know why. Ah Seong had come on a visit to another member of the same clan as the prisoners. Witness was a member of the same clan. He did not see Ah Suey that evening at all. Saw him early next day (Wednesday). Ah Suey passed by the door of the store on that morning, and said he was going to Spring Creek. Saw him again on Thursday when he returned, at about four o’clock, saw nothing happen to him that day. Saw him again early on the Friday morning; deceased came to prisoners while they were in the place where the pigs were killed. They were both there. Witness went to deceased’s hut and called a European, to tell him that Ah Suey had taken opium. Went and told Ye On at once, but did not see Ah Suey hanging at the veranda post during the four days, nor did he see them ill-treat him. Prisoners told deceased that he owed them money, and ought to work for them; was a workman, not a partner in the store.
To Mr Hughes: Come from Hospital that day; had been there since Thursday last; had his wrist cut. Was friendly with Ah Suey, of course, he was his nephew. Ah Suey was quite willing to come. Witness requested prisoner to tie deceased, as he thought he would kill himself. He had taken up a knife, which witness snatched away. Deceased was tied up in front of the store, by which the road through the camp passed. Deceased’s hands were tied close together with string; he was not hanging; he was tied lightly and gently. Witness was engaged in general work in the store; he called a European to see that Ah Suey had taken opium, as he thought somebody should be there.
Re-examined: Did nothing for deceased when he had found that he had opium, expect calling on the European. He had a number of pigs to look after that day.
Edward Coady, driver of the Bright and Beechworth Coach deposed: Last witness and Ah Suey had come to Beechworth by that coach in April last.
Ah Lin deposed: He saw Ah suey come to Sebastopol with two other men; they drove up to the prisoner’s store. Deceased and Guey Foon then went into the store and sat down, he heard one of them, Ye On, ask deceased for money, Ah Suey replied, “No money”. After supper they again asked him for money, and he made the same reply; the prisoner’s then caught hold of him, and dragged him out to the veranda post, and hung him up to an iron hook by the tail, so that only by stretching himself could he touch the ground by tiptoes. They took off his jumper; hit him with their hands on the upper part of the body and kicked him with their feet on the legs. They tied his hands with a piece of rope, and fastened his legs with a chain like that produced. The prisoner’s beat and kicked him for some time; deceased was hanging up for about half an hour. Ah Seong untied him; he has since gone to Sydney. Prisoner’s continued to ask deceased for money, and said “If you do not give us money will beat you to death.” There were Chinese going and coming during the time deceased was hanging, witness went to untie deceased, but he was pushed away. Deceased fell after he was untied, and remained on the ground until witness picked him up and dragged him to his hut. After Ah Suey had been a little while at the hut, the prisoner’s asked him to go to the shoemaker’s hut, and he went first, the prisoner’s following. The owners of the store searched Ah Suey’s clothing and blankets, and found 10s 6d. Ye On took the money, and put it in the drawer of the counter. One of them got a knife and cut his jumper up small, during the time Ah Suey was at the shoemaker’s hut, he was crying. The reason of his crying was because he was beaten until his body ached. After Ah Suey was beaten and untied, he picked up his under jumper and put it on; he got back his trousers and them on and also the jumper referred to. At the time, the prisoners were searching Ah Suey’s clothes, the woman from the public house, Mrs Harvey, came up. About seven o’clock in the evening, prisoners went to the shoemaker’s hut and again asked Ah Suey for money; he replied that he had not yet got any. Prisoners dragged him out, and again hung him up by the tail, and beat him with their hands. They also tied his hands and feet as before. Ah Suey groaned, and cried out for help to save his life; there was other Chinaman about at this time. Ah Seong, having finished at the gambling house, went and untied Ah Suey. Witness would have untied him, but when he went to do so, prisoners held up their hands and said “Pay the money and you can untie him.” Ah Suey was most exhausted after he was loosed, and witness led him to his hut. Early next morning, prisoners again went to Ah Suey’s hut and again asked for money; he replied that he had none. They dragged him out to the veranda and again hung him up by the tail to the hook in the veranda, beating him the while as on former occasions. They put out their strength to beat him; they also kicked him; they had on Chinese boots similar to that produced in court. Ah Seong, who had untied him on a former occasion, again untied him. Witness led him away to his hut and saw no more of him for that day, neither did he see him on Thursday. On Sunday morning, before sunrise, he saw prisoners again go to the hut of Ah Suey and ask for money. He saw the two prisoners force him to the ground and kick him; Ah Suey cried out twice “I’d dying”, and lay down. In answer to his Honour, the interpreter explained that “nok” meant to force down by the shoulders, and that deceased had afterwards fallen on his face. When deceased was lying on the ground, Ye On kicked him on the body, and Hung Yuey, on the head: They had on thick digger’s boots. Ah Gooey, on that morning, was in the store of the prisoners; saw no sign of Ah Suey taking opium that day. After prisoners left, deceased remained in the hut. Witness was at the hut in the afternoon when the policeman came, he had never heard deceased say anything about taking opium and committing suicide. Witness and his mate owed money to prisoners, his mate was of the same clan as the prisoners and owed them much money, while he owed little. His mate owed them twenty pounds; he owned them eight or nine pounds.
Cross-examined by Mr Hughes: Ah Suey was of the same clan as witness, but was no relation, their ancestors had not been related for many centuries. He had known the prisoners for ten years, they had been storekeeping for four or five years. They had talked about summoning him, but they had not done so, neither had they threatened to tie him up. When prisoners came in the buggy they talked to Ah Suey about an hour before they tied him up. There were more than ten men present when deceased was tied up. None of them were here today. A European boy, (Joe), saw the Chinaman hanging up. On the subsequent occasions when Ah Suey was tied up, there were more than ten men present, but not all the same men on each occasion. He thought some of these men were present, but he could not see them. A detective had asked for the names of the men who were present, and he had given the names of four. These men were at Sebastopol when he saw the man hanging and being beat, he went to untie him, but prisoners held up their hands and said he must pay the money first. The veranda in which deceased was hanging faces the public street. The German, Dirdrich, does not live far away from where Ah Suey was hung up, about twice the length of the court. Harvey’s house is about as far as from the court to the post office; Harvey’s windows to do face the veranda, the habitations of the Chinese intervened. The place in the corner of the garden shown on the plan would shade the veranda. Witness was present at the magisterial inquiry, Ah Cooey was not there, at least he did not see him.
Emma Harvey, wife of John Harvey, publican, Sebastopol, said that she recollected seeing Ah Suey a day or two before his death. She was going to the Chinese store for a bottle of kerosene, when she saw Ah Suey seated in the shoemaker’s shop with his hands tied behind him. He was moaning very loudly, and that was what attracted her attention. When near to the Chinese store, she saw Ye On searching Ah Suey’s blankets. Witness asked them what they were doing with the bedclothes; they said they were looking for money. Deceased came to witness’s place that night; he was very bad. His arms and legs were bruised; there were marks of the ropes on his body. He said that the Chinaman had injured him. She gave him some bread and sugar. When witness heard deceased moaning, she heard some Chinaman say that he had been hung up by his tail.
Ah Lin was re-called, and in answer to the Crown Prosecutor, deposed, through Mr Hodges, that Mrs Harvey was present on the occasion referred to. He had not seen the dead body of Ah Suey at the inquest; saw Constable Considine take away the prisoners.
John Harvey deposed that he lived at the Council Hotel, Sebastopol. On Thursday evening deceased was in his place and seemed very weak. He showed his side and it seemed to have been bruised; asked witness to send for the police, and wrote a note in accordance with his request. Deceased had the appearance of one who had been ill-used.
To My Hughes: Did not point out to the doctor, who made the post mortem examination, the bruises referred to.
Joseph Byrne deposed that on the night in question he was passing the Chinese camp at Sebastopol, and saw the prisoners and others searching a jumper and other clothing; this was after sundown. Ah Suey was tied up to a post, to a hook on it. His hands were tied with a cord in front. There was a chain like that produced round him, his whole feet were on the ground, took no notice of the people who were present. If he had trousers on they were very short. Ah Seong untied deceased, who then went away to another house. Deceased was crying out “pretty” loud, did not hear him say anything. Was there about five minutes, saw deceased between six and seven on Wednesday night. He was then tied up again with the rope and with the chain; the two prisoners were present, but did nothing. Ah Seong untied him. Asked prisoners why they tied him up, and someone, whom he did not know, said that Ah Suey meant to kill himself.
In reply to Mr Hughes, the witness said that he did not see any reason to believe that deceased was injured.
Ah Cooey, miner, Eldorado, deposed that he was at Sebastopol on the day in question. Saw deceased on the ground, and saw him also hit and kicked. He was kicked on the left side of the head; he was kicked two or three times. The man who gave the kicks had on heavy boots; both prisoners kicked him and then left him. Witness spoke to Ah Suey, but received no reply.
To Mr Hughes: Did not see the body of deceased; was not allowed to go into the room. He had passed the night before in Sebastopol.
Constable John Considine deposed to arresting Ah Suey, he had his own clothes on, and walked three or four miles very fairly. He did not vomit during that time, nor did he take opium, as far as witness knew. He said that he was getting tired, and witness put him on his horse. Had handed the stomach of deceased to Mr Johnson, Government analyst.
John McAlpine deposed that he remembered helping deceased off his horse, at the request of last witness. Deceased died in about five minutes after he was brought into the house.
J. M. Christie, detective officer deposed to the correctness of a plan produced. The iron hook in prisoners veranda had been pointed out to him by Ah Lin. Had found the rope and chain produced, and had taken possession of them. Ah Seong untied deceased and in consequence of what Ah Lin had said to witness, he had caused him to be summoned to the inquest. He said there that he knew nothing about the matter. Arrested prisoners on warrant on the 27th of May; they said nothing.
Dr H. T. Fox deposed that he had made a post mortem examination of the body of a Chinaman on April 27th. Found a contusion about two inches back from the left temple; it was a big lump. There were scratches on the face, chest, arms, and legs, and these were of two distinct kinds. One sort were thick and long, the other broad and short. Could only liken the latter to the injuries inflicted on a man by falling among loose palings; a blow would not have caused the injuries. Dragging the deceased along would scarcely have caused the injuries. On making the post mortem examination, it was found that there was considerable extravasation of blood on the surface of the skull in the left hemisphere of the brain. There was another similar clot in the right hemisphere between the brain and the dura mater. On opening the brain, found the membranes and the ventricles charged with a port-wine coloured serum to a considerable extent. The contusion he had noticed might have been caused by a heavy boot. The lungs were healthy, but slightly congested, the heart and liver were healthy. There was about half a pint of fluid in the stomach. There was nothing to indicate that opium had been taken. A kick with heavy boots would account for the lower part of the abdomen. The peritoneal coat of the intestines, as well as the peritoneal coat of the stomach was inflamed. Believed death was caused by extravasation of blood on the brain.
To Mr Hughes: Opium would not produce extravasation of blood; was bound to take the statement that opium had been taken, but had not detected it.
William Johnson, Government analyst, deposed to having examined the stomach of the deceased. He had found traces of opium having previously been taken, but had the cause of death been from this narcotic the deceased would have been stupefied for a long time before death.
Dr Antoine Mousse deposed that he agreed with Dr Fox’s evidence; he did not believe that Ah Suey came to his death through a poisonous dose of opium.
His honour then adjourned the court till nine o’clock Thursday morning. The jury to be made as comfortable “as circumstances would allow.” This was at ten minutes to seven o’clock in the evening.
(The following day, Redmond Barry handed down a sentence of four years with hard labour, to be undertaken in Beechworth Gaol…Seems horrendously lenient for the crime committed.)

Article One – Trove – Ovens and Murray Advertiser – 10th May, 1872.

Article Two – Trove – Ovens and Murray Advertiser – 17th October, 1872.

2 thoughts on “Murder at Sebastopol

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s