Constable Alexander’s description of the Byrne house:
‘The hut is composed of slabs, with a bark roof, and has two small windows in front. It is situated at the foot of the range in a clearing of considerable extent, so that it presents a conspicuous object from any point of view. About 20 yards from the house there is a water course and some diggings – for the greater part abandoned. To the left of the house a garden has been planted, and the ground in the locality is fairly grassed. Everything presented an appearance of neatness and comfort and on entering the interior was found to be clean and homely. The occupants were engaged at the time attending to some domestic duties but bustled about and seemed pleased with the visit paid them.’
From the Argus, 22 July, 1881.